Sunday, August 10, 2008

That Cookbook Thing. Cooking with friends and Julia Child.

When last you saw the Julia Crew we'd wiped the soup off our faces, and come to terms that the curry sauce wasn't a complete success.

We've moved on to Rapee Morvandelle (Gratin of Shredded Potatos with Ham and Eggs and Onions). All the usual suspects Mike, and Ruth, Mary, Deborah, Mary, Shaun, Elle and Kittie are back too.

There's not a whole lot to say about this recipe, other than it's delicious and pretty easy to make. Onion (I used red) is sauteed in butter and oil (I cut back the amount). Diced ham (I used black forest) is added and cooked for a few minutes. The ham and onions are mixed with eggs, grated potato, garlic (more than the paltry 1/2 clove called for by the recipe), minced chives, milk and swiss cheese. Bung it in the oven and cook until firm and golden brown.

This would be a perfect brunch dish - eggs, ham, cheese and potatos all snuggled together in an easy to serve wedge. There is nothing about this I would change, although I might play with the herbs a little - maybe some basil, or sage?
Have a great Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment